Keynote Speaker Daymond John entertained a packed room of attendees during Saturday’s Opening General Session at VenueConnect 2016, telling them the world needs venue managers now more than ever before.
“You’re way more important than you’ll ever understand,” John said, reminding them that in a troubled world it’s entertainment and communal gatherings that help raise people’s spirits.
Touching on his thought that “every aspect of business is selling experiences,” John offered his “Five Shark Points” to help attendees remember what they should do or how they got to the places they are in life.
- Set a goal: “We become what we think about most of the time,” John said.
- Homework: Study and know what has happened in the past and how it will affect you in the future. Know your industry inside out.
- Amor: “Love what you do, but love your family more. Consider how you’re offering experiences at home,” John said.
- Remember you are the brand: Be aware that everything you do is available to everyone else in this social media age.
- Keep swimming: Never stop moving toward your goals.
John presented his points as he told attendees his life story accompanied by a DJ who played old-school hip-hop and rap songs. John’s showmanship was on full display, and the crowd loved it.
After his address, he walked the trade show floor and met with several exhibitors, illustrating once again he recognizes the importance venue managers have in delivering experiences to others.
(Image: Bruce Challgren)